Each flight log entry usually
represents a launch or test day, and describes the
events that took place.
Click on an image to view a larger image, and
browser's BACK button to return back to the
Day 87 - Another Day at the Office
70 odd bottles ready for splicing.
Here are 12 x 2L and 10 x 1.25L splice-pairs
Components for the Acceleron V rocket are
being prepared for assembly.
More components for the booster.
Flight #2 of Tachyon VII looking back at the
pyro launch controller.
Looking down on the parking lot during
Location:Doonside, NSW, Australia
Conditions:Warm (25C) with cloudy skies and
Team Members at Event:
John K .
This is just a quick flight report
update, which is mostly included for completeness. We
didn't have any new rockets to fly at this
weekends' NSWRA launch but we did bring a
couple of older and smaller rockets. We are
concentrating on the
Acceleron V rebuild currently and so we
are not building anything else. It was going
to be a pyro egg lofting competition this
week so I wanted to come along and film it.
Normally I don't get a lot of time to film
the pyro rockets as we spend time setting up
and launching the water rockets. It's good
to just come along and watch. I only packed
everything water rocket related last minute the night before and
only brought minimal equipment. It's good to
not always have to spend so much time
preparing for a launch day.
Flight Day Report
In the morning it was overcast and
raining quite heavily, but no launch
cancellation was issued. The weather
near the coast can be quite different
than out west so we went anyway. By the
time we got to Doonside the rain
cleared, and there were even a few blue
We arrived at 8:30am and set up the
medium launcher as well as our old
Gardena launcher. Set up was nice and
quick as we didn't bother with a table,
sun shade etc.
We launched the Tachyon VII rocket
three times with the MD80 camera
on-board. All three flights were very
similar with good deployments and
landings. We flew the first flight with
the camera pointing down and the next
two flights with the camera pointing
sideways, as the first flight looked
like the rocket wasn't spinning much.
The on-board video turned out quite well
despite the overcast conditions.
We launched David's water rocket a
couple of times too from the old
launcher, as the fins were just too wide
to fit through the medium launcher's
support ring. He uses a Tomy timer side
deployment triggered with an air flap.
Launched at 100 and 110psi both of his
flights went well and the parachute
opened just after apogee.
Next up we launched Tachyon IV which
is an older reinforced rocket fitted
with a baffle over the Robinson
coupling. We launched this at 160psi and
150psi, not wanting to push the bottles
too far. This rocket wasn't fitted with
a camera, so it was just a fun one to
launch for the kids. Both flights landed
well without issues.
There were three entries in the egg
lofting competition with multiple
flights and a number of broken eggs. The
details will be posted on the NSWRA
Acceleron V Update
We are now fully focusing on getting the
Acceleron rocket back in the air. The last
two weeks have been spent splicing lots of
bottles together. We now have all the 9
spliced pairs made for the booster, and 5 of
them still need to be pressure tested. We
are making an additional 7 spliced pairs for
spare parts and other rockets. It's just
easier and faster to do a larger number at
the same time. We are also splicing ten
1.25L bottles to be used in the main
sustainer as well as a second backup one and
Below is a video discussing some of the
components going into the booster before
they are assembled as well as some footage
from the launch day.